Ascension Providence Hospital Allergy
Rotation Director: Jason Paris, MD
Administrative Contact: Erin Holt, Lead Student Coordinator
Rotation Location: Ascension Providence Hospital
Duration of Rotation: 2 or 4 weeks
Students Per Month: 1
Work Hours: Generally, 8 am to 5 pm
Prerequisites: 2 years of medical school; MCE completion for MSUCHM students; internal medicine core clerkship completion for students from other schools
MSUCHM Course#: MED 616
Goals & Objectives of Rotation:
- Develop/demonstrate knowledge & skills to diagnose and treat common allergy and immunology problems
- Emphasize office management of allergic and non-allergic rhinitis, asthma, sinusitis, food and drug allergy, urticaria, angioedema, anaphylaxis, stinging insect sensitivity, and atopic dermatitis.
- Familiarity with skin testing, immunotherapy, in vitro allergen specific IgE testing, and pulmonary function tests
- Understand the importance of the control of environmental factors in the treatment of allergic conditions.
- Develop knowledge of adult immunodeficiency syndromes (primary and acquired), and their treatment.
- Middleton’s Allergy: Principles and Practice,
Vol. I and II, 8th Edition, by Adkinson Jr. Jr. MD, N. Franklin, Bochner MD, Bruce S, Burks (2013) Hardcover Hardcover – 2013
- Patterson’s Allergic Diseases,
8th Edition. L. Grammer P.A., eds. Wolters Kluwer ‘09.
- A variety of journal articles provided for each student to read, on various topics in allergy and immunology.
Evaluation: At the end of the rotation, the Rotation Director will collect data from the supervising physician and other medical team members and complete a written evaluation of the student that is reflective of the student’s academic competence, procedural proficiency and professional attributes. The standard medical school form from the student’s medical school will be used. If required, the student should complete a case log and an evaluation of the rotation and submit them to their medical school. Medical students will be asked to evaluate the rotation at the end of the month.