Ascension Providence Hospital Electives
Please read below for information on requesting a medical student elective rotation at Ascension Providence Hospital:
- Students from Michigan State College of Osteopathic Medicine should apply for electives at Ascension Providence Hospital through our online rotation request form. Upon approval from the coordinator, we will notify your clinical office.
- Students from Michigan State University College of Human Medicine may request electives at Ascension Providence Hospital through their Campus Directors of Students.
- Students in good standing from LCME-accredited and AOA-accredited schools in the United States and Canada may apply for limited electives at Ascension Providence Hospital through the Visiting Student Application Service (VSAS) found under this name: Mich St Univ-SEMich Providence
- Students from American University of the Caribbean, St. George's University School of Medicine, Saba University School of Medicine and Ross University School of Medicine may apply for elective rotations at Ascension Providence Hospital using our online rotation request application through our website. Students from American University of the Caribbean are the only students allowed to participate in the Ambulatory (preclerkship or elective) rotation at Ascension Providence Hospital.
- If you do not attend one of the above-named schools, we will not be able to assist you with an elective rotation at our site.
ELECTIVE ROTATION POLICIES:
- Students must have approval from their medical school to take requested elective rotations at Ascension Providence Hospital.
- Visiting students may complete a total of 3 rotations at our site. Demand for rotations is high and we would like to give as many students as possible the ability to rotate here.
- Online applications for the next academic year are accepted beginning May 1st. Our academic year starts on July 1st and ends on June 30th.
- Any cancellations or changes to scheduled rotations must be made at least 60 days before the rotation is due to start. Frequent changes or cancellations of rotations by a student may result in our refusal to schedule further rotations at our site. Failure to show up for a rotation is considered unprofessional behavior and we reserve the right to cancel any other rotations for that student at Ascension Providence Hospital
Please find a brief description of each of our elective rotations below:
- Ambulatory Medicine
- Cardiovascular ICU
- Complementary Medicine
- Critical Care Medicine
- Diagnostic Radiology
- Emergency Medicine
- Family Medicine Outpatient (Southfield)
- Family Medicine Outpatient (South Lyon)
- Family Medicine Inpatient (Residency)
- Family Medicine Sub-Internship (Residency)
- Female Pelvic Medicine & Reconstructive Surgery (Urogyn)
- Geriatrics/Palliative Care
- Gynecologic Oncology
- Infectious Disease
- Internal Medicine (Advanced / Sub-Internship)
- Interventional Radiology
- Maternal-Fetal Medicine
- Obstetrics and Gynecology Sub-Internship
- Orthopedic Surgery (Residency)
- Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- Pain Medicine
- Plastic Surgery
- Psychiatry Sub-Internship
Application for Senior Electives
THE ONLINE REQUEST APPLICATION IS CURRENTLY CLOSED DUE TO THE LARGE VOLUME OF REQUESTS WE HAVE RECEIVED. WE MAY REOPEN THE REQUEST FORM IF THERE IS STILL ELECTIVE AVAILABILITY AFTER WE PROCESS THESE REQUESTS.
Secondary Application links:
Family Medicine Application (deadline has currently passed. Any applications submitted after deadline will be reviewed at a later date dependent on rotation availability)
Orthopedic Residency Program Elective Application (Applications will be processed on a rolling basis after May 17th)
Radiology Audition Rotation Application (We are still accepting applications for audition rotations)
Neurosurgery Audition Requests: You may direct questions to Erin Saad: Erin.Saad@ascension.org
For questions pertaining to electives, please contact our Lead Student Coordinator at:
Erin Saad, BAA
Lead Student Coordinator
*email is the preferred contact method*