Ascension St. John Hospital Preliminary Medicine Year
We have 6 preliminary medicine residents each year. Our preliminary medicine schedule was designed with the goal of producing a competent highly functional resident who will come out of the year prepared for their next year of residency.
Our preliminary medicine schedule is as follows:
- Academic cardiology – 1 month
- Inpatient internal Medicine floor – 4 months
- Medical ICU – 2 months (non-consecutive)
- Nephrology floor (2ELL) – 1 month
- Outpatient medicine – 1 month
- Emergency medicine – 1 month
- Night floor – 1 month
- Anesthesia / subspecialty elective – 1 month
- Vacation – A total of 3 weeks, which can be taken as individual weeks or 3 continuous weeks during non-floor/unit month such as academic cardiology, outpatient medicine, and anesthesia/elective months.