Ascension Providence Hospital Electives
Please read below for information on requesting a medical student elective rotation at Ascension Providence Hospital:
- Students from Michigan State College of Osteopathic Medicine should apply for electives at Ascension Providence Hospital through our online rotation request form. Upon approval from the coordinator, we will notify your clinical office.
- Students from Michigan State University College of Human Medicine may request electives at Ascension Providence Hospital through their Campus Director of Students.
- Students in good standing from LCME-accredited and AOA-accredited schools in the United States and Canada may apply for limited electives at Ascension Providence Hospital through the Visiting Student Application Service (VSAS) found under this name: Mich St Univ-SEMich Providence
- Students from American University of the Caribbean, St. George's University School of Medicine, and Ross University School of Medicine may apply for elective rotations at Ascension Providence Hospital using our online rotation request application through our website. Students from American University of the Caribbean are the only students allowed to participate in the Ambulatory (pre-clerkship or elective) rotation at Ascension Providence Hospital.
- If you do not attend one of the above-named schools, we will not be able to assist you with an elective rotation at our site.
ELECTIVE ROTATION POLICIES:
- Students must have approval from their medical school to take requested elective rotations at Ascension Providence Hospital. Visiting students should have 4th year student status when due to start their elective.
- Visiting students may complete a total of 3 rotations at our site. Demand for rotations is high and we would like to give as many students as possible the ability to rotate here.
- Online applications for the next academic year are accepted April 15th through April 17th. We will reopen the application again, capacity permitting. Our academic year starts on July 1st and ends on June 30th.
- Any cancellations or changes to scheduled rotations must be made at least 60 days before the rotation is due to start. Frequent changes or cancellations of rotations by a student may result in our refusal to schedule further rotations at our site. Failure to show up for a rotation is considered unprofessional behavior and we reserve the right to cancel any other rotations for that student at Ascension Providence Hospital
Please read the text below carefully:
Due to the current COVID-19 crisis, we will not be accepting applications for some rotations scheduled for the time period July 1, 2020 through August 21, 2020.
IMPORTANT: The rotations highlighted below are still accepting rotation applications for the July and August time period and throughout the upcoming academic year.
All rotations listed below will be available from August 24, 2020 on through the upcoming academic year. If issues related to the COVID-19 crisis cause us to cancel a scheduled rotation, we will try to give students as much notice as possible. While we will attempt to reschedule a cancelled rotation, we cannot guarantee that will be possible.
Please find a brief description of each of our elective rotations below:
Application for Electives
- Neurosurgery Audition Requests: Please direct questions to Hala Dubaybo at Hala.Dubaybo@michiganspineandbrainsurgeon.com
Secondary Application links:
- Family Medicine Program Elective Application
- OBGYN Program Elective Application
- Orthopedic Residency Program Elective Application
- Radiology Audition Rotation Application
For questions pertaining to electives, please contact:
Rayford McKinstry, Elective Student Coordinator
*email is the preferred contact method*